Cask Whisky Ownership
– 13 years experience
– £40m under management
– Established relationship with Scottish distilleries
– HMRC licensed
– Dedicated contact and support
– Capital Gains Tax free
The Vintage Whisky Group are well versed in offering bespoke solutions to clients wishing to build a whisky portfolio over the medium to long term.
As well as diluting risk a diversified portfolio of whisky casks offers institutions a tangible, tradable asset not linked to markets or indices in this current volatile economic climate.
Cask whisky portfolio purchase is essentially a simple proposition over the medium to long term. The older a cask is the more it is worth. Using our expertise we can help build a bespoke portfolio for your clients that meets their needs.
Why choose the Vintage Whisky Group?
- 13 years of experience with established long-standing relationships with distilleries throughout Scotland
- We will assist you with all aspects of cask whisky purchase, literally from cask to glass
- 6 proven exit strategies
- Access to an asset not linked to markets that offers stability to diversified investment portfolios
- A wide range of casks from £10,000 to £500,000+
- Written advice and recommendations
- A dedicated on-line portal detailing all cask portfolio ownership information
- Dedicated contact support
- Regular portfolio valuation updates
- A multi award winning bottling arm (Vintage Bottlers Limited)
- Access to our ‘Vintage Whisky Club’ hosting whisky tasting events around the world. (Monaco grand prix, Cheltenham Gold Cup and international rugby fixtures to name but a few)
- Our own HMRC licensed bonded warehouse opening Q1 2024*
*Located in Campbeltown this facility will be capable of storing up to 38,000 whisky casks. It will have an on-site tasting room, a state of the art bottling plant, on-site cooperage and on-site accommodation for visitors wishing to stay overnight and visit the world-class whisky distilleries and golf courses.
Michael Webb (Dip PFS MAQ CeMap)
Business Development and Corporate Risk Management
With over 35 years working in regulated Financial Services Mike has huge experience in all matters relating to financial planning, taxation and wealth creation. Formerly a key member of the Senior Management Team at St James’s Place and the owner of several Chartered Financial planning practices Mike has seen it all over 3 remarkable decades of regulatory change. Having retired from authorised advisory duties in 2018 Mike joined the Vintage Whisky Group to expand our global corporate division and ensure our compliance procedures are up to date and robust protecting both the business and our international clients.
Married with a young son Mike hails from London but now spends his time away from work in leafy Sevenoaks.
Corporate Sales & Client Portfolio Management
Robin is part of the corporate management team at the Vintage Whisky Group and brings with him over 30 years’ experience within the financial services sector. Robin started at the Bank of England before working for Nomura International, Goldman Sachs and Barings. He was trading financial futures on LIFFE (London International Financial Futures Exchange) from 1989 to 1999 before he then started stockbroking at Walker Crips. Whilst at Walker Crips he managed between 300 – 400 private and institutional clients trading in Options, Index Futures, Bonds, CFD’s, stocks, shares and spread betting. Robin is registered and regulated by the FCA (RSH01052).
Based in Raleigh in Essex Robin is a family man and avid Formula One follower.
How the cask portfolio process works:
The first important step is that we provide you with our due diligence pack for review.
We want all prospective clients to feel totally comfortable that they are dealing with a long established bona fide company at the forefront of their field of expertise.
Once the due diligence box is ticked, we would welcome a face to face visit to our offices in London Bridge.
Key at that meeting is establishing your core objectives. Whether working or retired the following factors will help us build a picture of your requirements and help create, build and present a bespoke solution:
- Initial period of ownership?
- Initial annual budget?
- Flexibility requirements?
- Level of involvement?
- Frequency of reviews?
Once these are established and agreed we would then run through a presentation demonstrating how the portfolio would look and importantly why particular casks have been selected. In reality it can take some months to build the right portfolio and source and select casks we know have an excellent track record that are importantly in good health. These selections will, of course, take into account any specific requests for a particular distillery, expression, cask type or region.
Once the cask portfolio has been structured and purchased we then have regular reviews (annual at a minimum) to assess ongoing requirements and make appropriate portfolio additions.
The costs involved
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN BUYING A CASK
Whisky cask ownership is very much an armchair investment with modest ongoing costs as follows:
- Storage and insurance is included in the cask price for the first 5 years, thereafter it is currently £65.00 per annum per cask
- A cask regauge (MOT) is recommended every 3-5 years at £85.00 per cask
We will assist with all aspects of the ongoing care of casks which will from next year be located at our Campbelltown facility on the west coast of Scotland.
We do recommend a minimum 5 year term for all cask whisky purchase.
The Vintage Whisky Group operates an open door policy at our offices in London Bridge. The offices have a boardroom and whisky tasting bar where you are welcome to join us and sample our award winning single malts.
To make contact with Mike or Robin please fill in the fields below:
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whisky is barely enough"
In order to assist clients considering cask whisky purchase see below a list of documents that should assist in this regard:
1. The buyers of whisky be it cask or bottles must be over 18 years old. – Whisky cask investments are unregulated in the UK
– Fees apply and these are outlined in our terms and conditions
2. All clients must undertake biometric AML checks prior to purchase to adhere to statutory UK Law.
3. The Vintage Whisky Group are not tax experts or financial advisers. WE strongly recommend that you seek professional advice in advance of any purchase.
4. The value of cask whisky can go up as well as down. If you wish to speak to someone regarding the cask buying process or any points raised in this guide or our website, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
5. It is advisable to perform regular health checks on your cask every 3 years. The VWG will do this on your behalf and the costs involved are included in the AMC.
6. All casks sold to Family offices and institutional investors are insured against fire, theft and accidental damage.
7. All storage costs are included in the Annual Management Charge.
8. Our WOWGR certificate (Departmental Trader Registration Number: 127 4643 13/0001) issued by HMRC, authorises us to store cask whisky in any appropriately approved Scottish excise warehouse. Therefore, we store casks of whisky across a number of distilleries and HMRC approved facilities in Scotland. When our bonded warehouse opens in Q1 2024 casks will be transported from their current location as soon as is feasible.
Company No. 7761569 | VAT No. 127464313 | WOWGR No. 127.4643.13/0001 | Distributor of Denatured Alcohol DNA/209446 | Excise ID. GBOG127464300 | EORI No.: GB127464313000